About Me

My photo
I was motivated to start a blog by reading all the wonderful talented individual's who have blogs out there. So, I want to make this blog about everyone who reads it. My family and God always comes first in my life. I want to share my experiences and in turn, hope to get feedback and ideas from you. I love unique things, I adore anything that sparkles (not over the top though) I love decorating, cooking, gardening, photography and shopping. My number one passion is photography! To me it becomes more than a picture, it can become a piece of art, or a beautiful memory. Decorating, though I am not a professional, and don't claim to be, has been a part of my life since I was very young, and just love searching and shopping for new ideas and incorporate the old, such as Mid-Century Modern and Hollywood Regency with contemporary. Living close to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, and being of Hispanic heritage, I love cooking Mexican food, and love to share my authentic recipes. Though I live in Florida, my heart is in the desert southwest, and hope that my family and I will return there very soon…keep your fingers crossed that my prayers are answered SOON!!!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Tumbleweed Christmas Tree....

What a beautiful unique southwestern tradition in Chandler, Arizona.  Chandler is the only city with a holiday tree made out of tumbleweeds, and this has been a tradition for over 50 years. Once the tumbling tumbleweeds are collected, somewhere between 1,500-2,000, they are used to adorn a 35-foot tall wire frame. Then, the tumbleweeds are sprayed with 25 gallons of white paint, 20 gallons of flame retardant and dusted with 65 pounds of glitter. The tree is later adorned with approximately 1,200 holiday lights that give it a spectacular look, day or night.  What a beautiful way to use a "natural resource".  Now for the western lovin' girl, this is just an ideal Christmas tree for a western town.  It conjures up all those wonderful times of living and traveling the west, seeing those tumbleweed just independently going where the wind carried them. 



Photo's by Joe Orman



3 comments:

  1. hi there! thank you so much for your lovely comments at my blog! what a surprise to come here and see the tumbleweed tree that i personally saw, just last year while, visiting my parents who live in chandler. that is so cool! i love the desert, but would miss the changing seasons.

    happy week to you,
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eri...thank you so much for your comment. I just thought this tumbleweed tree was so unique and is so much of what the southwest is. That is so unreal that you have seen it in person, I hope to some day. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And I look forward to being a regular on your blog. Much happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin...please excuse my typing...I've noticed on a lot of my posts...my keys are sticking..time for a new key board, I think I wore this one out, and it's only 2 years old. :)

    ReplyDelete