About Me

My photo
I was motivated to start a blog by reading all the wonderful talented individual's who have blogs out there. So, I want to make this blog about everyone who reads it. My family and God always comes first in my life. I want to share my experiences and in turn, hope to get feedback and ideas from you. I love unique things, I adore anything that sparkles (not over the top though) I love decorating, cooking, gardening, photography and shopping. My number one passion is photography! To me it becomes more than a picture, it can become a piece of art, or a beautiful memory. Decorating, though I am not a professional, and don't claim to be, has been a part of my life since I was very young, and just love searching and shopping for new ideas and incorporate the old, such as Mid-Century Modern and Hollywood Regency with contemporary. Living close to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, and being of Hispanic heritage, I love cooking Mexican food, and love to share my authentic recipes. Though I live in Florida, my heart is in the desert southwest, and hope that my family and I will return there very soon…keep your fingers crossed that my prayers are answered SOON!!!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Luminarias....

The History of Luminarias.
Many people associate "luminarias" with the holiday lighting of candles placed in small, brown, sand-filled bags, luminarias first appear historically around the 16th century, as a Spanish tradition of lighting bonfires along the roads and churchyards to guide people to Midnight Mass on the final night of the celebration of Las Posadas.  The night of Las Posadas, which is Spanish  for lodging or inn, it is a traditional, festive celebration that first introduced to the native people of Mexico by European missionaries, and is the reenactment of the story of Mary and Joseph's search for lodging in Bethlehem. The tradition continues into modern times. The decoration of rooftops, walls, sidewalks and driveways of individual homes with luminarias is used as a way of guiding travelers to their destination.

The candlelit brown paper bags are also called "farolitos," the Spanish word for little lanterns. In the early 19th century, U.S. settlers on the Santa Fe trail brought Chinese paper lanterns to hang from their portals and light their entrance ways. They were beautiful but expensive, and eventually, the paper bag version became the tradition.

Today, luminarias and farolitos have become an American holiday tradition and a southwestern tradition of welcome. As well as the traditional paper bags with candles, modern day versions also include the electric luminarias or farolitos.

Some people in the Southwest call the paper bag lanterns luminarias, while others insist the correct term is farolitos since "luminarias" were the bonfires lining the roads. Whatever you choose to call them, honor the history of luminarias by setting some out this Christmas and adding a new tradition to your holidays regardless of where you live.

History of Luminarias (farolitos) from Squidoo






Luminaria made in ice...to warm in Florida for this, but it's beautiful












Photo's from Bing and/or Flickr


3 comments:

  1. I loved looking at all your photos of the luminarias. They reminded me of the magical evening we spent last Christmas at the DBG in Phoenix. Love that garden at any time of the year but Christmas is special. We used to do luminaries in our neighborhood in St Louis but here in Austin no one seems to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet comment. I know what you mean, they make things very magical, especially in the desert areas...love it!! I'm surprised they don't do luminarias in Austin, such an exciting beautiful city. Look forward to more of you posts...hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweet friend! Thanks for your wonderful comment and visit tonight. I've been so busy lately that I haven't stopped by in awhile so it's been fun catching up with you tonight. Awwww...luminarias...I sure do love them! When we lived in Columbus, Atlanta and Nashville we used to decorate with them before our parties. One of our neighborhoods always had a special night each year when the entire neighborhood would light them and there was a hayride for the children to ride down the streets to see them. They would end up at the clubhouse where Santa and goodies would be waiting. It was a magical night. I sure miss times like that when our children were younger. I hope your holidays are wonderful.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete