About Me

My photo
I was motivated to start a blog by reading all the wonderful talented individual's who have blogs out there. So, I want to make this blog about everyone who reads it. My family and God always comes first in my life. I want to share my experiences and in turn, hope to get feedback and ideas from you. I love unique things, I adore anything that sparkles (not over the top though) I love decorating, cooking, gardening, photography and shopping. My number one passion is photography! To me it becomes more than a picture, it can become a piece of art, or a beautiful memory. Decorating, though I am not a professional, and don't claim to be, has been a part of my life since I was very young, and just love searching and shopping for new ideas and incorporate the old, such as Mid-Century Modern and Hollywood Regency with contemporary. Living close to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, and being of Hispanic heritage, I love cooking Mexican food, and love to share my authentic recipes. Though I live in Florida, my heart is in the desert southwest, and hope that my family and I will return there very soon…keep your fingers crossed that my prayers are answered SOON!!!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Keeping it Local...

Shell Island....Florida





Yesterday, my husband and I got up around 5:45 in the morning, packed a cooler with breakfast items, drink, and other snacks along with our beach items, and took my husband's canoe to Ft. Desoto, launched the canoe from there and headed out to Shell Island.  Was a perfect beautiful morning.  We arrived to the island, and found a quaint little shaded spot to set the canoe.  My husband set up the travel grill in a clearing there, did a little fishing as I walked to the other side of the island to do some shelling.  The water was such a beautiful color of teal.  I had the entire beach to myself, not one other person out there, though there were other boaters off shore, it was so peaceful and beautiful, nothing but beautiful birds, the sea, crabs that scurried back into the water as I walked along the waters edge, white sand,  and thousands of shells.  On our way out, saw only one shark about 4 feet long, and about 200 stingrays.  There are certain areas that are very shallow, so that allowed us to see numerous conchs, both small and quite large.  I just love seeing the ocean in it's natural environment from off shore, different that seeing from the shoreline.   My husband made a fabulous breakfast on the grill - we sat around for a while and headed back.  We went through tunnel of mangroves, around various islands, and just took our time getting back.  We thought we would be home by around 11:00, but it was such a beautiful day, we didn't get back to land until almost 2:00...yes, I got a little too much sun.  Though I have lived here almost 30 years, I'm not one to lay out and bake in the sun, I try to always wearing sun protection, but not this time.  You know, being Latina, I thought I could handle it - wrong! I did wear a hat, but my arms and legs got the majority...was actually kind of a nice feeling for a change...nothing better than coming home, taking a long cool shower and have a tall iced Vanilla Chai Tea...perfect ending to the wonderful beginning of a long weekend.

Monday, we are heading a little more south to Sarasota, to go to some beaches, and have lunch at Tommy Bahama's - love it!!!.  Then down south a little further for some shopping and other beaches, trying to find some unique tropical colored pillows that I have in mind along with some tropical colored accessories to go with my new color theme in the great-room.  I located a few boutiques online, that I thought may have some items...I sure hope so, if not, it's off to HomeGoods, I can always find what I want there.  It's always exciting to get out of town and see new sights, even if I don't find anything, I know it will be a nice day, just being with my husband!!! 



Hope everyone has a fun, safe and happy Memorial Day weekend...enjoy!!!  God Bless!!!

























Here are a few of the shells I found on Shell Island...I cleaned them well, but you know how hard it is to get all the sand out, will finish that tomorrow...some are broken, but they were still so beautiful, I couldn't pass them up.  

5 comments:

  1. what a great time you had. That's my idea of a perfect day. Your photos are stunning. What are you going to do with the shells? I love to collect them. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shells you found are so pretty. I would love to see all of the conchs you talked about, in the ocean. I love them! How cool to see the shark and so many stingrays. What a wonderful day for you and your husband. The color of the water is AMAZING. I love love love all of these photos!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to enjoy our great outdoors. Now honey, I need to find me a man that will get up as early as I do, row me out to an island for some shelling and cook breakfast for me! WOWZA!

    Love the shells you collected, you know I love the broken ones, I call them driftshells. Have a wonderful time in the Sarasota area, you know the beaches in Englewood and Venice have been offering up some really nice shells and they are the best placde to find shark's teeth if you like them.

    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect sounding day....I would love to spend the day doing that...minus the sunburn of course. I have always wanted to go to Shell Island...I may try to do that on my next visit to the Gulf Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beautiful! I never find so many shells here in Cali, I must head out your way someday!

    ReplyDelete